Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Cloth ears no more

The other week, I grabbed a bargain off e-bay. I became the proud owner of a 512Mb MP3 player. At last, this old scrote can download all those old sixties and seventies hits and stroll down nostalgia avenue oblivious to all that modern racket that the yoof of today call music.
You can't beat the old toons, can yer?
So I signed up to Limewire. This is one of many file sharing websites on offer on the internet.
That search engine was alive with artists of the golden era of pop as I downloaded all my old faves.
Days of bliss whilst bopping to those old classics and then a thought struck me (I get the occasional one). I was getting bored to listening to all those old bands bashing out the hits that all the sad old bastards like me listen to.
Time for some radical action here.
I whiped the lot off and downloaded dozens of previously unheard of (by me) tracks by all the new and up and coming bands of today.
My listening pleasure now consists of (to name but a few)
  • Kasabian
  • Franz Ferdinand
  • Greenday
  • The Killers
  • Pennywise
  • Papa Roach
  • The Kaiser Chiefs
  • Gorillaz
and many, many more.
And do you know what, dear reader? I don't know what I have been missing. My lugoles have been opened up to some great sounds.
So come on you old farts out there. Put away those well worn LP's (remember them?) and take a peep at some of these young bands today. You will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: