Monday, October 16, 2006

What a lovely lady

My faith in human nature has been restored. Well, for a little while anyway. I received a letter the other day from my insurance company informing me that as I had cancelled my direct debit for my car insurance, I was in arrears and the sum owed must be paid by the end of the month. I would also incur a £25 penalty charge.

"BASTARDS"

And then I thought.

"Wasn't I checking my bank account the other week and isn't there a possibility that I deleted my car insurance payments?"

After a quick check, I had indeed inadvertently binned the direct debit concerned. Yet another Senior Moment in my life.

A groveling phone call ensued, where I told a sob story with such feeling and sincerity, Shakespeare himself would have been proud of my performance. The lovely lady not only laughed at my feeble attempts at self deprecating humour, but actually waived the £25 surcharge as I had made a "genuine mistake".

I could have kissed her. I didn't catch her name, but the wonderful woman manning the phones on the 'its4me' helpline should just take a minute to congratulate herself on making a silly old sods day that little bit happier.

No comments: